While a drive through the rolling hills of the Driftless Region near Galena is beautiful all year round, there’s something particularly magical in the Autumn months when the Illinois fall colors emerge and evolve. In fact, our charming town of Galena was recently placed in the number three spot of the “10 Most Beautiful Towns in America” by The Travel, a popular destination website. And this is especially true as the trees begin to change from lush greens to golden hues, bright reds, and vibrant orange tones.
One of the best places to stay in our picturesque small town is Jail Hill Inn, the premier, luxury Galena Bed and Breakfast. Not only will you love our location perched on a hill above the downtown area, but we’re the ideal home base for exploring the Illinois fall colors 2022 by car or on foot at the local state parks and nature reserves. You’ll enjoy some of these Illinois fall colors right in our backyard too! You’ll love spending time on our shared back deck space, equipped with comfortable furniture and lovely views.
The Best Places to View the Stunning Illinois Fall Colors 2022
With the hills canvassed in bright hues, Galena is one of the most beautiful places to view the Illinois fall colors. Our historic buildings stand out from the golden tones, and the smell of autumn and its harvest events are in the air. Here are the best ways to take in these astounding sights near our Galena Bed and Breakfast:
- Take a Scenic Drive from Galena: You’ll view some of the most brilliant Illinois fall colors framed by your car window, either on your way into or out of town. The rolling landscape of the Driftless Region creates deep valleys and high bluffs, all covered in trees and interesting rock formations from the last glacial period. The Great River Road is possibly one of the most scenic drives in the whole state. where the Mississippi River is surrounded by stunning wooded areas.
- The Overlook at Horseshoe Mound Preserve: Head up to the top of this 200-acre nature reserve for one of the most striking views of the Illinois fall colors. The panoramic vista will be awash in autumnal hues. Use the viewing binoculars at the park to spot the bright red roof of our Inn, a Galena landmark from afar. This is definitely one of the most Instagram-worthy locations!
- Along the Trails at Apple Canyon State Park: Get out on a hike surrounded by Illinois fall colors at this nearby 300-acre state park. The trails weave through beautiful woodlands, meadows, and along the river to the crowning jewel, Apple Canyon Waterfall.
- Play a Round at The General Golf Course: There are some spectacular golfing opportunities near and in Galena, and what better time to hit the links than in the fall when the foliage is at its peak? The General Golf Course is the most popular 18-hole course, designed by Roger Packard and US Open winner Andy North.
- Explore the Galena River Trail: One of the easiest ways to see the best fall colors in Illinois is right down the street from our Galena Bed and Breakfast. The Galena River Trail is a well-maintained wide path that heads along and across the Galena River. It’s accessible and fairly flat for those looking for a leisurely stroll to take in the changing foliage.
Before you set out on your scenic drives or hikes near Galena, check out the Illinois Fall Color report to track the best leaves in the area.
Get Cozy at our Galena Bed and Breakfast this Fall
We love celebrating every season and holiday at Jail Hill Inn, and Autumn is especially cozy and comfortable. We take full advantage of fall’s harvest, which you’ll see in the seasonal ingredients we use for our breakfast dishes and afternoon wine and cheese tray. You’ll feel the warmth of our decor, from the fireplaces in our guest rooms, and from our welcoming and hospitable service. This is the time of year to curl up inside with your favorite book, catch up with your partner, and rekindle or nourish romance. You can do that all and more at our Galena Bed and Breakfast with ease; book your next getaway today!