Fall Hiking at Apple River Canyon State Park
There are so many great things to do in Galena this fall, not least of which is getting outside for some fresh air and exercise! One of our favorite places to do just that is Apple River Canyon State Park, which is just a short 30-minute drive from our Galena Bed and Breakfast. Hiking at Apple River Canyon State Park – or anywhere, really – is one of the best ways to immerse yourself into the spectacular colors of fall. The sharp contrast of colors against the park’s naturally beautiful backdrop is really something to behold.
Apple River Canyon State Park is the perfect place for nature lovers to get away from the crowds of downtown Galena for a day. Following a brisk hike in the woods, there’s no place we’d rather kick back and relax than the cozy guest rooms of our Galena Bed and Breakfast. Jail Hill Inn, rated the #1 Bed and Breakfast in the country in 2019 and #3 in 2020, truly is the best Bed and Breakfast in Galena.
With unparalleled luxury and exceptional hospitality, there’s really no better place to stay in Galena. Book your room at our Galena Bed and Breakfast today!
Hiking at Apple River Canyon State Park
This part of Illinois is a surprisingly great place to get outside and enjoy the scenery. It’s located in the Driftless Region of the state, which means it was left untouched as the last glaciers receded, giving this area unusually hilly geography compared with the rest of the Midwest. This hilly topography is on full display and makes for some really great hiking at Apple River Canyon State Park.
Apple River Canyon State Park encompasses just under 300 acres and is characterized by steeply rising limestone bluffs, deep ravines, springs, streams, and plenty of wildlife. There are also many trails throughout the park, which allow you to thoroughly enjoy the natural surroundings to the fullest. At the heart of the Apple River Canyon State Park is, obviously, the Apple River itself. It’s a beautiful river, too, where water and erosion have widened and deepened the canyons over the years, leaving behind the beautiful bluffs that characterize this park.
There are plenty of things to do at Apple River Canyon State Park, but we’re focusing on hiking trails throughout the park. While you’re on the trails, take the time to appreciate the area’s wildlife. It’s home to various animals, including deer, squirrels, rabbits, and at least 47 varieties of birds.
- The Pine Ridge Trail at Apple River Canyon State Park is relatively easy, though it’s challenging at the very beginning. As you navigate along the short loop trail, you’ll travel mostly on beautiful forested trails but will briefly open up onto a lovely meadow.
- The Tower Rock Trail at Apple River Canyon State Park takes you through some of the most scenic areas overlooking the Apple River. As you continue on the trail, you’ll hike along cliff edges with several outcroppings, ending at Tower Rock.
- The River Route Nature Trail is about 1 mile in length as it navigates along the edge of the Apple River. It crosses bridges and streams and is a beautiful hike to take at Apple River Canyon State Park.
- The Sunset Trail is, again, a pretty easy trail with a steep start at the beginning.
- The Primrose Trail is a pretty short trail, but it can be challenging. The trail starts with 84 steps up, but it’s worth your while. There’s an observation deck here that offers great views of the river below.
During the winter, many of the trails at Apple River Canyon open up for cross country skiing and snowshoeing, too, so it’s certainly not something relegated to the warmer and drier months of the year!
The Best Galena Bed and Breakfast for Fall Getaways
After a relaxing day out in nature, retreat to the quiet comfort of our Galena Bed and Breakfast. You have your choice of 6 luxuriously appointed and spacious guest suites to enjoy, all of which come standard with chilled champagne and chocolate on arrival, multi-course gourmet breakfast each morning if your stay, and a custom afternoon wine and cheese tray delivered to your room.
Inside the suites themselves, you’ll find all the high-end amenities you’ll need to make your stay memorable. This includes things like luxurious linens on comfortable king-sized beds, stunning Kohler Bathrooms, Frette bath towels and custom-designed Frette robes, Aveda personal care products, a Samsung Smart TV, and Bluetooth-enabled sound system, and so much more. With luxury touches like this throughout, exceptional service and hospitality, and an ideal location, there’s no reason not to choose our Galena Bed and Breakfast. Book your room today!