There really are a lot of things to do in Galena this fall! It’s hard to choose a favorite, but enjoying the splendor of fall in the great outdoors is an absolute must. One of our favorite places to get outside in these crisp fall months is the Apple River Canyon State Park. It’s actually beautiful any time of the year, but the juxtaposition of fall colors against the park’s landscape in the fall really is breathtaking. Apple River Canyon State Park encompasses an area of just under 300 acres here in this scenic portion of Illinois, and it is the perfect place for nature loves to get outside and away from the crowds of downtown Galena.
With so many great things to do in Galena throughout the year, it’s a wonderful place to return to time and time again. And, when you do, there’s one Bed and Breakfast that stands out amongst the rest; Jail Hill Inn. Jail Hill Inn, which was rated the #1 Bed and Breakfast in the country in 2019 and #3 in 2020, truly is the best Bed and Breakfast in Galena. Our Inn offers unparalleled service with luxury touches throughout, and we’re within walking distance to downtown Galena’s shops, restaurants, and attractions. Staying here will certainly lend an air of unforgettable elegance to your Galena getaway. Book your room at our Galena Bed and Breakfast today!
Your Guide to Apple River Canyon State Park
One of the best things about Galena – apart from its historic charm, of course – is its location in the Driftless Region of Illinois. This area was untouched by glaciers during the last ice age, which is largely what gives this area such hilly and unusual geography, and its what makes areas like Apple River Canyon State Park so unique! This area is characterized by steeply rising limestone bluffs, deep ravines, springs, streams, and plenty of wildlife. There are also a number of trails throughout the park, which allow you to thoroughly enjoy the natural surroundings.
At the heart of the Apple River Canyon State Park is, obviously, the Apple River itself. It’s a beautiful river, too, where over the years water and erosion have widened and deepened the canyons, leaving behind the beautiful bluffs that characterize this park. The best part about this park is the scenic beauty, but beyond that, here are 5 great things to do at Apple River Canyon State Park near Galena!
- There are several miles of hiking trails throughout the park, including the Pine Ridge, Tower Rock, River Route, Sunset, and Primrose Trail, the latter of which happens to be handicap accessible. During the winter, these trails open up for cross country skiing and snowshoeing, too.
- The Apple River is a great fishing spot near Galena! The river is well known for trout in the early parts of spring when the waters are cool, and smallmouth bass, sunfish, crappie, carp, and suckers throughout the rest of the year.
- The Apple River is also pretty slow-moving and quiet and is a good place for floating and kayaking.
- Enjoy the park’s wildlife! Commonly reported animals here include deer, squirrels, rabbits, and at least 47 varieties of birds. The animals aren’t the only attraction, though! There are also 14 different varieties ferns and over 500 species of other plants, in addition to 165 varieties of flowers scattered throughout the park.
- It’s one of the hidden gems of Apple River Canyon State Park, but on the river, you’ll find Apple River Falls, which is a spillway from Apple Canyon Lake.
Savor Fall at our Galena Bed and Breakfast
After a relaxing day out in nature, retreat to the quiet comfort of our Galena Bed and Breakfast. You have your choice of 6 luxuriously appointed and spacious guest suites to enjoy, all of which come standard with chilled champagne and chocolate on arrival, a multi-course gourmet breakfast each morning if your stay, and a custom afternoon wine and cheese tray delivered to your room.
Inside the suites themselves, you’ll find all the high-end amenities you’ll need to make your stay memorable. This includes things like luxurious linens on comfortable king-sized beds, stunning Kohler Bathrooms, Frette bath towels and custom-designed Frette robes, Aveda personal care products, a Samsung Smart TV and Bluetooth-enabled sound system, and so much more. With luxury touches like this throughout, exceptional service and hospitality, and an ideal location, there’s no reason not to choose our Galena Bed and Breakfast. Book your room today!