Scenic Drives Around Galena, IL
Fall is a breathtakingly beautiful time of year to be in Galena. One of our favorite ways to enjoy fall in Galena, IL is to take scenic drives, of which there are plenty near our Bed and Breakfast. The winding country roads are absolutely perfect for these scenic drives, too! Fall’s seasonal display of color paints the hills around Galena, bringing this area to life in new and exciting ways.
Making yourself at home at our luxurious Galena Bed and Breakfast is the perfect recipe for a memorable and exciting vacation. We take the meaning of hospitality to a new level, and, most importantly, are dedicated to keeping travelers safe during these unprecedented times. If you’ve never experienced fall in Galena before, this year provides you with the perfect opportunity.
Not only is it a beautiful place to relax and unwind, but it’s a safe and comfortable place to get away for that much-needed change of scenery. Book your room at our Galena Bed and Breakfast today!
5 Scenic Drives Near our Galena Bed and Breakfast
We often spend our time talking about all of the great things to do in downtown Galena – of which there are plenty of options! – but there’s also plenty to do in the areas surrounding this charming city, too. One of the best ways to explore Galena Country is by taking scenic drives in the area. Not only will you find other charming towns to visit along the way (and we highly recommend you visit as many of them as you can!), but you’ll take in some of the most gorgeous scenery in Illinois, especially during these colorful months of fall.
Galena Country is packed with history and charm, but it’s also fertile land, which has given rise to a number of wineries and vineyards, U-pick orchards, and plenty of farms that feed us in local restaurants. The agricultural bounty of this region is on full display on these scenic drives and truly gives us a new appreciation for Galena Country as a whole. And, of course, the beautiful scenery that unfolds before you on these scenic drives is an incredible bonus.
Here are 5 of the best scenic drives near our Galena Bed and Breakfast:
- Elizabeth-Scales Mound Road is a windy, hilly drive just east of Galena. The road branches off from Highway 20 near the town of Elizabeth, and after 12 miles of scenic fall beauty, it connects up with the Stagecoach Trail, another great place for a scenic drive. Points of interest along this drive include Charles Mound, which is the highest point in the state. The views from here are, of course, exceptional.
- The Stagecoach Trail starts at the end of downtown Galena’s Main Street and follows the original Galena-Chicago stagecoach route, passing scenic farms and near the highest point of Illinois (Charles Mound). This is one of the most pleasant scenic drives in the area, as it travels through picturesque rural valleys. This drive also passes the Galena Cellars Winery & Vineyard, which makes for the perfect stopping point.
- The Illinois portion of the Great River Road is absolutely glorious in the fall. It’s easily one of the most scenic drives in the state, with the most beautiful portion of the road being right here near Galena. Here, the Mississippi River is flanked by wooded bluffs and absolutely brimming with natural beauty. This is one of the best places for birdwatching, too. The fall bird migration won’t disappoint!
- Travel from Galena towards the town of Warren, and then continue on Route 78 south towards Apple River Canyon State Park. Here, you’ll find breathtaking displays of sharpy rising limestone bluffs, deep ravines, springs, streams, and plenty of wildlife and fall color. Take your time to explore this incredible park!
- From Galena, head back out on Route 20 east towards BlackJack Road. Once there, enjoy the twists and turns on this breathtakingly beautiful road. It’s especially popular with motorcyclists and will lead the way to Chestnut Mountain Resort, where you can enjoy the views overlooking the Mississippi River.
Of course, if you’re travelling from Chicago to Galena, the route along Highway 20 is, in its own right, a great drive. There’s plenty to do on your journey, too. We have just the guide for you, as you begin your journey from Chicago to Galena.
More Ways to Enjoy Fall in Galena, IL
Though Scenic Drives near our Galena Bed and Breakfast will certainly delight and give you a new appreciation for just how beautiful this corner of the world is, there’s so much more to do in Galena during the fall. If you’re looking for great things to do in Galena This fall, consider one of the following:
- Go apple picking at one of the local orchards including Woodstock’s All Seasons Orchard and Malta’s Jonamac Orchard.
- Take in the views of the Mississippi River from the top of the ski runs at Chesnut Mountain Resort. You can ride the ski lift down and back for some truly panoramic views. Or, if you want to get out on the river itself, hop on their Mississippi River Explorer Cruise, and enjoy the vibrant colors along the river bluffs.
- Rent a bike from Fever River Outfitters, then head down the Galena River Trail for a scenic fall ride along the river. Keep going until you reach the beautiful Buehler Preserve. You can also rent a kayak or canoe from them, and take in the view floating down the Galena River.
- Go wine tasting at our local wineries – fall is harvest season and always a wonderful time to sample the new and delicious wines being produced here.
- Visit the incredible parks around Galena, including Apple River Canyon State Park, Mississippi Palisades Park, or any of the popular Jo Daviess Conservation Foundation properties, such as Horshoe Mound Preserve.
Galena continues to grow in popularity as a romantic getaway destination, and this is especially true during the beautiful fall months. If you truly have your heart set on staying with us at Jail Hill Inn, don’t wait. Make your reservations today! We can’t wait to welcome you to the area’s top Bed and Breakfast.