Galena is an extraordinary city to visit any time of year, but where you stay is just as important as what you do. If you’re looking for the best places to stay in Galena IL for 2022, you’ve found it. Jail Hill Inn has been the #1 rated Galena Bed and Breakfast, not to mention the #2 rated Bed and Breakfast in the entire world. We attend to every detail of your stay so you don’t have to – and it’s this exceptional hospitality, combined with our luxurious accommodations, that make us one of the best places to stay in Galena, IL.
The charming and historic town of Galena should definitely be on your “must-see” list this year. Here, you’ll find the perfect blend of the small-town charm with a great mix of restaurants, shops, and attractions to enjoy, along with plenty of rest and relaxation at our luxury Bed and Breakfast. There’s a little bit of something for everyone in Galena, and it’s one of the most popular getaway destinations outside of Chicago.
Aside from visiting exciting places, spending time here also gives you the chance to stay at our luxurious Bed and Breakfast, which we would consider top among the best places to stay in Galena IL. Our Galena Bed and Breakfast is just a few steps away from downtown Main Street, which gives you easy access to enjoy all the best of Galena without having to drive and park.
Jail Hill Inn is genuinely the getaway of a lifetime. Don’t you think it’s time you started planning? Relax, unwind, and visit one of the best places to stay in Galena IL this year. Book your room today!
One of the Best Places to Stay in Galena IL in 2022
If you’re looking for one of the best places to stay in Galena, IL, there’s little doubt in our mind that it’s Jail Hill Inn. Great getaways really do start with great accommodations, and that is exactly what you’ll find inside our beautifully restored old jail. We have thought through every detail of your stay to make sure it’s everything you’ve hoped for and more. From the moment you pull up in front of this stunning and historic building, we think you’ll understand why it’s one of the best places to stay in Galena IL.
Each of our six guest rooms is uniquely decorated and well-appointed with luxurious touches. Each suite offers guests an unprecedented 800 square feet of space, and they are outfitted with the most comfortable beds and plenty of high-end amenities to enjoy throughout your stay. This includes things like our custom-designed and super-plush Frette Spa Robes and towels, Aveda personal care products, a Tesla/EV Charging Station, a customizable Bluetooth sound system, and Samsung Smart TVs.
Another thing that makes Jail Hill Inn one of the best places to stay in Galena IL is our location. You’ll have a luxurious place to call home while you’re visiting Galena, but you’ll also be close to all the top attractions, restaurants, and shops.
Regardless of what you plan to do during the day, each morning here will start with a delicious and hearty breakfast, which you can enjoy from the comfort of your room or in our communal dining room. It’s the perfect fuel for whatever adventure lies ahead. You definitely won’t go hungry here, because we also treat you to a delectable wine, charcuterie, and appetizer tray each afternoon. Guests rave about our food offerings, which are just one of the many reasons our Bed and Breakfast is one of the best places to stay in Galena IL.
The Best Things to do in Galena IL for 2022
There are plenty of reasons to consider Jail Hill Inn one of the best places to stay in Galena, IL, but what are you going to do while you’re here? There’s no shortage of things to do in Galena. Whether you’re a history buff or an enthusiastic shopper, or someone who wants to enjoy great food and wine experiences, or maybe just someone looking for some much-needed R&R, you’ll find exactly what you’re looking for in Galena.
Depending on when you visit, there are more than enough things to do in Galena, IL to keep you busy and having fun. We’ve broken our list of things to do in Galena IL by summer activities (which apply to spring, summer, and fall) and winter activities. Combined with the luxury you’ll find at Jail Hill Inn, you’ll soon see why this is one of the best places to stay in Galena IL.
The serene natural beauty of this area lends itself to summertime exploration, and so there are many options of things to do in Galena IL. Whatever you choose to do, get ready for plenty of big adventures!
- Get a historic overview of the Galena area with Galena Trolley Tours.
- Visit the Galena & U.S. Grant Museum and the Ulysses S. Grant Home State Historic Site.
- Visit some of Galena’s best-preserved historic buildings, including the Dowling House, and The Belvedere Mansion.
- Spend a day at Apple River Canyon State Park for a bit of fun in the beautiful outdoors.
- Enjoy a bit of shopping in downtown Galena – we have a fun guide on our blog!
- There are plenty of great tastings in the downtown area, which is one of our favorite things to do in Galena! Stop in at Galena Cellars, Galena Brewing Company, Galena River Wine and Cheese, or Champagne on Main!
- Take a walk or bike ride on the popular Galena River Trail, or kayak down the serene Galena River.
- Take a visit to one of the Jo Daviess Conservation Foundation properties including Horseshoe Mound Preserve and the Valley of Eden Bird Sanctuary.
- Take a trip to Chestnut Mountain Resort – you can bike from Jail Hill to there on the Galena River Trail, or drive if you’d rather. Once there, you can enjoy some time on their alpine slide, the Soaring Eagle Zipline, and even Mississippi River Cruises.
- Head to Hoof It Galena to take a memorable hike with goats, or to Shenandoah Riding Center for a guided horseback ride through the area!
Peace and quiet, a little bit of snow, and the restful escape you need. That is what winter in Galena is all about. There are plenty of things to do in Galena IL in the winter, and this opportunity for four seasons of fun is what makes this one of the best places to stay in Galena IL. Here are a few of our favorite things to do in Galena IL in the winter:
- Spend some time on the slopes at Chestnut Mountain Resort. It’s one of the best ski destinations in the Midwest!
- Head to the Nordic Center at Eagle Ridge Resort and enjoy some ice skating, cross country skiing, and snowshoeing.
- Take a winter hike. There are plenty of great trails in the area, including Casper Bluff Preserve, Buehler Preserve, and the Galena River Trail.
- Watch eagles soar and dive for food during their annual migration at Mississippi Palisades State Park. Peak times to see them are mid-January through February.
- Enjoy a horse-drawn sleigh ride with Shenandoah Riding Center.
- Spend a day wine tasting at local wineries, like Galena Cellars and Massbach Ridge Winery.
- Enjoy the best Galena restaurants, like Fried Green Tomatoes, Fritz and Frites, and Log Cabin Steakhouse.
- Hit up one of Galena’s fun winter events, such as the popular Winter Carnival Weekend or the Galena Whiskey Weekend – there really are always fun things to do in Galena!
If you’re ready to experience the best part of this beautiful town, then it’s time to start planning. Book your room at one of the best places to stay in Galena IL today!