In our over-busy lives and with the holiday season rapidly approaching, we can hardly blame you for wanting to plan a cozy getaway. When it comes to cozy weekend getaways in Illinois, nothing beats the romantic luxury of our Galena Bed and Breakfast.
Jail Hill Inn has been considered one of the best weekend getaways in Illinois for most of its 6 years in business, having been ranked as the #1 and #3 Bed and Breakfast in the entire country. Couples return here time after time to embrace the peaceful elegance of our guest rooms and to spend some time in the historic heart of downtown Galena.
Though winter is an exceedingly romantic and cozy time of year to plan weekend getaways in Illinois, Galena is actually a spectacular four-season destination and worth visiting whenever you can get here. Though there’s plenty to do in downtown Galena and the surrounding area, we also wouldn’t blame you if you didn’t want to leave the cozy confines of our Galena Bed and Breakfast.
If you’re up for a bit of adventure, though, you’re not too far from the best of downtown Galena. There truly is no better place for weekend getaways in Illinois. Book your room at our Galena Bed and Breakfast today!
Cozy Weekend Getaways in Illinois
When it comes to weekend getaways in Illinois, you’d be hard-pressed to find lodging that is as spectacular as Jail Hill Inn. Our Galena Bed and Breakfast truly does have everything you need for a memorable weekend escape. It’s not very far from big cities like Chicago, Milwaukee, Madison, and Minneapolis too, which means it’s a quick and easy escape that’s easy to fit in our otherwise busy schedules.
We’d be willing to bet, too, that as soon as you leave the city and head towards Galena, you’ll feel your stress begin to ease. The transformation will be complete the moment you step through the doors and into the life of luxury at our Galena Bed and Breakfast. Waiting for you in your guest room will be a chilled bottle of champagne and a box of custom-made chocolates for you to enjoy – and that is just the start.
Each of our guest rooms comes standard with an incredible array of amenities, and each offers 800 luxurious square feet of space in which to relax. In each room, you’ll find a customizable Bluetooth sound system to use, Samsung Smart TVs, stunning Kohler bathrooms with luxurious Frette towels and robes, and so much more.
That’s not all, though. A big part of your stay at our Galena Bed and Breakfast is the food. In the morning, we’ll treat you to a gourmet multi-course breakfast. You can either enjoy it in our dining room, or we’ll happily deliver hot and fresh to your guest room. Is there any better way to enjoy cozy weekend getaways in Illinois than with breakfast in bed?
That’s not all, though! In the afternoon, we’ll also bring you a tantalizing tray of wine, charcuterie, and house-made appetizers – a sumptuous snack that can almost serve as a meal, and which can be enjoyed at your leisure throughout the day.
Our Favorite Things to do in Galena
While cozy weekend getaways in Illinois are best spent soaking up the ambiance of our Galena Bed and Breakfast, there’s plenty to keep you busy if you’re up for getting out and about – if you want to be active, that is. There are many wonderful things to do in Galena, no matter the season you visit.
Winter is magical, with gorgeous natural beauty waiting at every turn in this snow-covered winter wonderland. We’re located just minutes from Chestnut Mountain, which means it’s easy to get out and play in the snow if you want, followed of course by some cozy time in front of the fireplaces at Jail Hill Inn. Beyond that, here are a few other fun things to do in Galena this winter:
- Downtown Galena is always a fun place to shop and explore, especially when the shops are all dressed up for the holidays!
- Take a breath of fresh air and enjoy some winter hiking, all while enjoying the beautiful wintry views of the Mississippi River from one of the Jo Daviess Conservation Foundation’s properties, like the Casper Bluff Preserve.
- Cross Country skiers love the trails at the Nordic Center at Eagle Ridge Resort & Spa. This is also a great place for sledding, snowshoeing, and ice skating!
- Take a break in the afternoon with a drink from local establishments, Galena Cellars and Galena Brewing Company, Blaum Bros Distillery, or Champagne on Main.
Winter isn’t the only great season to enjoy cozy weekend getaways in Illinois. As we mentioned earlier, Galena is a thrillingly beautiful four-season destination. Here are just a few of our favorite things to do nearby throughout the rest of the year:
- Get a historic overview of the Galena area with Galena Trolley Tours.
- Visit the Galena & U.S. Grant Museum and the Ulysses S. Grant Home State Historic Site, where you’ll enjoy getting a glimpse into the life of this famed Civil War General and U.S. President.
- Visit some of Galena’s best-preserved historic buildings, including the Dowling House, and The Belvedere Mansion.
- Spend a day at Apple River Canyon State Park for a bit of fun in the beautiful outdoors.
- Take a walk or bike ride on the popular Galena River Trail – or if you’d rather get wet paddle along next to it on the Galena River.
- Chestnut Mountain Resort isn’t just great for skiing, it’s a great place to bike to (from the Galena River Trail). While there, you can also enjoy some time on their alpine slide, the Soaring Eagle Zipline, and even take Mississippi River Cruises.
- Are you in the mood for a little bit of animal therapy? Head to Hoof It Galena to take a memorable hike with goats, or to Shenandoah Riding Center for a guided horseback ride through the area!
As you can see, there are many ways to enjoy weekend getaways in Illinois. No matter what it is you want to do while here, the best getaways include accommodations at Jail Hill Inn. We’re rated as one of the best weekend getaways in Illinois for a reason! Book your room at Jail Hill Inn today.