Though many of us may not want to admit it, we love to capure picture-perfect moments of our vacations to share on Instagram. It helps when you have an exceptionally beautiful place to photograph! If you’ve ever visited Galena in the fall, then you know just how extraordinarily beautiful this historic little town is. If this will be your first time, you’re in for a treat. The hillsides around Galena light up in their fiery shades of fall each September and October, making for a breathtaking display that must be experienced to be believed. Galena, located within easy driving distance from Chicago, Minneapolis, Des Moines, and St. Louis, is the perfect getaway destination this fall. Between hiking through the beautiful fall colors and soaking up the small-town charm of downtown Galena, there are a number of Instagram worthy destinations to show off during your stay in picturesque Galena. Book your room at the Jail Hill Inn, and enjoy another spectacular fall at the country’s #1-rated Bed and Breakfast.
10 Instagram Worthy Photos of Galena
Though we may not all admit it, I think we can all agree that it’s fun to take great photos while you’re on vacation, highlighting the best parts of your trip. Those Instagram worthy photos are made all the better by the stunning fall colors we’ll soon be enjoying. Use these 10 photo-friendly destinations as a guide to exploring the best of Galena.
- Start your photo-snapping journey right here at Jail Hill Inn. There are a number of places around the Inn that make for fantastic photos, including the exposed curved brick ceilings, our beautiful entry or backyard patio, or of course our delicious breakfasts or our daily wine and cheese reception.
- Galena’s historic Main Street makes wonderful Instagram fodder. Main Street, dubbed the “Helluva Half Mile” after Chicago’s “Magnificent Mile” is filled with charming boutiques and locally-run mom ‘n’ pop stores and restaurants. But really, you’re here to photograph the beautifully preserved red brick buildings, which date back to Galena’s days as a booming 1800s lead mining town. An incredible 75% of the town is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- While you’re downtown, capture the historic glory of Galena’s former Train Depot.
- Catch some blacksmithing in action at the Old Blacksmith Shop, complete with working forges. The shop dates back to 1897, and certainly has a place in your Instagram feature on Galena.
- Continue capturing the historic nature of Galena at places like the Belvedere Mansion, the Dowling House, of the Grant Home.
- Head to Grant Park overlooking Galena, and capture some scenic photos of the city. Don’t miss the footbridge connecting Grant Park to the city; it’s worth a picture all by itself.
- Head just outside of Galena to Chesnut Mountain Resort, where you’ll be able to take photos overlooking the breathtaking Mississippi River. It’s beautiful throughout the year, but especially so in fall. Their chairlift is an exceptional way to take in the views.
- If you’re looking for a great sunset shot (and who isn’t?), head to Horseshoe Mound Preserve. From there, you can enjoy a 180-degree view of Galena and views across three states.
- Go Hot Air Ballooning with Galena on the Fly, and snap some photos of the scenery. Don’t forget the balloon itself!
- When you’re out and exploring the area, make sure you find your way to downtown Stockton, where you can take a great shot of their murals to show on Instagram.
Now that you’ve taken some of the best photos around Galena, make sure to share them with fellow travelers on Instagram this fall! Make sure to tag us at #jailhillinn! Get started on this epic journey by booking a room at our luxury Bed and Breakfast near Downtown Galena today.