The 10 BEST Things to do in Galena This Fall
Things often look different in Galena from year to year, with new attractions, events, shops, restaurants, and other things added to our list each year. This year, mostly thanks to the COVID-19 Pandemic, things are definitely different in Galena. Even so, it’s still one of the best weekend getaways from Chicago, and there are plenty of wonderful things to do in Galena this fall. While many of our favorite fall events have been canceled in 2020, we have some ideas to ensure you have a fun and memorable getaway.
At the heart of your stay in Galena, you’ll still find the same exceptional accommodations offered by Jail Hill Inn, Galena’s #1 rated Bed and Breakfast. The experience of staying with us hasn’t changed too much, but there are a couple of notable adjustments. Breakfast does look a little different, in that we’re offering two choices: You can still enjoy us in the socially-distanced dining room downstairs, or you can request breakfast be brought directly to your suite. And, in the afternoon, rather than hosting an afternoon wine and cheese reception, we’re delivering hand-crafted trays with your own personalized selection of wine and a delicious assortment of charcuterie, appetizers, and cookies for you to munch on at your leisure.
One thing that hasn’t changed at Jail Hill Inn is our absolute dedication to hospitality, where every detail of your stay is carefully attended to. This fall, come celebrate the changing of the seasons with us. Discover new things to do in Galena this fall, and leave with unforgettable memories and plans to return again. Book your room at our Bed and Breakfast in Galena today!
Our Favorite Things to do in Galena This Fall
Fall is one of the most beautiful times of the year, and, accordingly, is also a popular time for people to visit us in Galena! The weather cools off just a bit from the heat of the summer, and getting outside becomes that much more enjoyable. As the crisp, cool nights of fall move in, the trees outside begin their seasonal changing of the guard – transitioning from the bright greens of summer to the cozy golds, reds, and oranges of fall. Enjoying this grand display as much as possible is, without a doubt, one of our favorite things to do in Galena in the fall.
With the COVID-19 pandemic lurking, keeping our guests safe and healthy is at the forefront of everything we do here at our Galena Bed and Breakfast. That includes the activities we recommend you enjoy while you’re here. Luckily, there’s an abundance of things to do in Galena this fall, many of which include some natural social distancing and time in the outdoors. Traditionally, one of our favorite parts about fall in Galena is the events. Even though they won’t be happening this year, we have plenty of ideas for things to do in Galena this fall that will make your getaway just as good, if not better than before!
- Oktoberfest is canceled for 2020 – but how about you stop in the Galena Brewing Company instead, and enjoy a delicious beer with them? Beer Lovers should add a stop at the Potosi Brewery to your day – and along the way, you’ll enjoy a beautiful and colorful fall drive!
- Fall is harvest season for local wineries and a great time to head out into the vineyards for a delicious afternoon of wine tasting. Great tastings abound in Galena, including at the following places: Galena Cellars Winery, Massbach Ridge Winery, Rocky Waters Winery, and Fergedaboutit Winery. You also don’t want to miss your chance to sample the spirits at Blaum Bros. Distillery.
- Most of Galena’s shops and downtown restaurants are still open, with masks and social distancing required. Local restaurants are offering limited indoor seating, but outdoor dining is still happening on the streets of downtown Galena’s new pedestrian-friendly zone. This is expected to be in place until at least October 11th, and gives our guests a fantastic way to enjoy the best of downtown Galena this fall! All of your favorite attractions in Galena rea open, too, including the historic trolley tours, evening ghost tours, PT Murphy’s magic show, and more.
- Though Galena isn’t hosting their traditional Tour of Historic Homes this fall, you can still take the time to tour Grant’s Home on your own. Other great things for history lovers to do include visiting include the Dowling House, Belvedere Mansion, or the Galena History Museum – all of which make striking places to visit when the fall colors are in full effect!
- We’ll miss the annual Galena Halloween Parade, but we’re looking forward to 2020’s Halloween Spirit Tour! It’s an exciting new twist on a popular tradition and will involve a self-guided, socially distanced walking or driving tour of homes and businesses participating in Galena’s Halloween Spirit Tour decorating contest.
- The outdoors is always open. We never tire of the scenic Galena River Trail, which is great for biking and walking. Other great places to consider visiting in Galena are the numerous Jo Daviess Conservation Foundation properties.
- Get out of Galena and into the countryside, where you can enjoy some of the most stunning scenic drives in the state of Illinois!
- Enjoy Galena’s fall colors from the river! Rent a kayak or standup paddleboard from Fever River Outfitters, and head out for a gentle adventure on the Galena River.
- Soar through the skies above Galena on a hot air ballooning adventure!
- Get adventurous at Chestnut Mountain Resort, where you can cruise the Mississippi River, soar high above the valley on their zipline, or race down their alpine coaster. Long Hollow Canopy Tours is also another great place to go ziplining in Galena.
The Best Bed and Breakfast for Fall Getaways
There’s only one Bed and Breakfast in Galena worth visiting, and that’s the Jail Hill Inn. We’re close to all of these great things to do in Galena this fall, and we offer an incomparable lodging experience that you simply won’t find anywhere else. The colorful hues of fall, the delicious scents of pumpkin spice and apple pie in the air, and the crisp cool evenings all add up to one thing; the perfect opportunity to turn inwards, focus on romance, and enjoy fireside chats with a good bottle of wine. Add to this the romantic ambiance of our guest rooms, and you have the recipe for an unforgettable fall getaway in Galena.
With just 6 guest rooms, you’ll feel as though you have your own private getaway at Jail Hill Inn. The pampering starts the moment you arrive, with chilled champagne and chocolates waiting for you in your suite. With our comfortable beds, high-end amenities, and luxurious touches throughout, you may not want to leave the comfort of your room this fall – and that is perfectly ok, too! Whatever it is you’re looking for this fall, you’ll find it in Galena.
Come share in some of our favorite things to do in Galena this fall. Book your room at our #1-rated Galena Bed and Breakfast today!