There are signs of spring in the air, and we couldn’t be any more excited than we already are! If you’re planning a visit to Galena this spring, we bet you’re looking for the ultimate guide of things to do in Galena, right? We’re here to help! And, if you’re not yet planning to visit us, then maybe it’s high time you clear those calendars and get down here!
A night at the Jail Hill Inn in historic downtown Galena is more than worth the trip. You’ll be pampered from the moment you first arrive. Beyond our doors lies the charming town of Galena, filled with great restaurants, plenty of independently-owned shops, historic venues, scenic countryside, wine tasting, a brewery, and a distillery, and so much more. Come experience this incredible destination this spring, and book your room at our Galena Bed and Breakfast today!
Are you Looking for Things to do in Galena This Spring?
You can easily fill an entire weekend itinerary in Galena. With its charming and historic venues, scenic countryside, and nearby towns and attractions, there really is so much to do. Sometimes it’s hard to wade through all the information and distill it down to the very best things to do in Galena! That’s where we come in.
We’ve listened to our guests over the years and added in our own personal experiences, and have curated what we think is a great list of all the fun things to do in Galena this spring. What will you do while you’re here?
- Get outside and enjoy the fresh air! It is spring, after all. There are plenty of wonderful places to take a hike, including the Casper Bluff Land and Water Preserve, and Mississippi Palisades State Park.
- Take a bike ride down the Galena River Trail. Bikes can be rented locally in Galena.
- Go wine tasting! We just wrote a blog about Galena Wine Tours that you can take, and both Galena Cellars and Massbach Ridge Winery have wine tasting rooms in downtown Galena.
- Take the historic trolley ride around town, and learn all about Galena’s rich history.
- Go Shopping! Galena’s Main Street nicknamed “One Helluva Half-Mile,” is filled with independent boutiques.
- Take a scenic drive through the countryside! The rolling hills and bluffs around Galena are breathtaking any time of year, but especially so in verdant months of spring.
- If you want to know even more of Galena’s history, head to the many museums and historic homes around Galena. A great place to start is the Galena History Museum, along with a tour of the Ulysses S. Grant Home.
- Take a hike to Thunder Bay Falls. It’s beautiful in the spring, and easy for most to access. It’s actually been listed as one of the most majestic waterfalls in the entire state of Illinois by Only in Your State.
- Go birdwatching! Spring is a great time for bird watching, as many of migrating back up north for the season. Anywhere along the Mississippi River is bound to provide great bird watching, as are places like Casper Bluff Land and Water Preserve and the Iris and Jack Witkowsky State Wildlife Area.
- Get a great view of Galena’s countryside on the 2.5-hour long ziplining tour at Long Hollow Canopy Tour. They open again for the season in April of 2020.
Unbeatable Lodging at our Galena Bed and Breakfast
While we’ve listed some really fun things to do in Galena in this blog, it probably goes without mention that our actual favorite thing to do in Galena is to stay “Inn” and get cozy and pampered at the Jail Hill Inn. We offer a number of common areas for you to relax, including outdoor patio and deck spaces when the weather is nice. We also offer in-room massages if you’re looking for a little extra in the way of relaxation.
Come see what makes Jail Hill Inn so extraordinary. Once you stay with us, you’ll never want to stay anywhere else again. Book your room at our luxury Galena Bed and Breakfast today.