2021 Roundup – Our Favorite Things to do in Galena This Year!
Nothing beats summer vacations spent playing, seeing new things, and lounging under the warmth of the afternoon sun. As we gear up for what is looking to be a busy and exciting summer, we’d like to share with you some of our favorite things to do in Galena. Small towns like ours are still poised to be popular getaway destinations this summer, as travelers stick to domestic destinations and small towns in particular.
You’ll not only find plenty of things to do in Galena, but you’ll find fewer crowds and unparalleled luxury at our Galena Bed and Breakfast. Galena’s business owners have consistently worked hard over the past year to bring you plenty of fun, all while keeping public health and safety in mind. Jail Hill Inn recently received the Traveler’s Choice Award from TripAdvisor, and we were once again named in the top 10 Bed and Breakfasts around the country, making it three years straight to earn this honor!
We’d love nothing more than to see you this summer or fall, and to give you the most relaxing and enjoyable getaway possible. We’re booking up quickly, though, so make sure you book your room at our Galena Bed and Breakfast today!
10 of the Best Things to do in Galena This Summer
With travel picking up in Galena, we’re looking forward to enjoying all of our favorite things to do in Galena with you! Part of Main Street in downtown Galena is once again closed to traffic (though not completely, like last year), which means there’s improved space outdoors for dining and enjoying a relaxing evening in town. Whether you prefer to enjoy downtime in the outdoor spaces of our Inn or would rather keep busy with one adventure after the other, there are more than enough things to do in Galena to keep you busy.
Galena is packed with great shopping, dining, historic attractions, and outdoor adventures. Here are just a few of the great things waiting for you in Galena this summer!
- Get a historic overview of the Galena area with Galena Trolley Tours.
- Visit the Galena & U.S. Grant Museum and the Ulysses S. Grant Home State Historic Site, where you’ll enjoy getting a glimpse into the life of this famed Civil War General and U.S. President.
- Visit some of Galena’s best-preserved historic buildings, including the Dowling House, and The Belvedere Mansion.
- Spend a day at Apple River Canyon State Park for a bit of fun in the beautiful outdoors.
- Enjoy a bit of shopping in downtown Galena – we have a fun guide on our blog!
- There are plenty of great tastings in the downtown area, which is one of our favorite things to do in Galena! Stop in at Galena Cellars, Galena Brewing Company, Galena River Wine and Cheese, and some of the other great food and drink-oriented businesses. There’s even a new business that has us excited this summer called Champagne on Main!
- Take a walk or bike ride on the popular Galena River Trail – or if you’d rather get wet paddle along next to it on the Galena River. Fever River Outfitters would be happy to outfit you with everything you need for your adventure.
- Take a visit to one of the Jo Daviess Conservation Foundation properties including Horseshoe Mound Preserve and the Valley of Eden Bird Sanctuary.
- Take a trip to Chestnut Mountain Resort – you can bike from Jail Hill to there on the Galena River Trail, or drive if you’d rather. Once there, you can enjoy some time on their alpine slide, the Soaring Eagle Zipline, and even Mississippi River Cruises.
- Are you in the mood for a little bit of animal therapy? Head to Hoof It Galena to take a memorable hike with goats, or to Shenandoah Riding Center for a guided horseback ride through the area!
There really are so many more things to do in Galena than we’ve mentioned here – but we think you’ll just have to wait until you get here to experience the rest of it. And, of course, don’t forget the wonderful nearby communities that make this area such a desirable vacation destination, including the communities of Elizabeth, Dubuque, Stockton, and Hanover.
Stay at our Bed and Breakfast in Galena
This summer, there’s going to be no shortage of fun things to do in Galena! There are plenty of options for every type of traveler, which is what makes this quaint historic town such a great getaway destination. It’s also a “one-tank getaway” from major cities in the Midwest. It’s not only easy to get here, but it leaves you with more time to enjoy it here as well! Deciding what things to do in Galena is almost as important as choosing where to stay
Jail Hill Inn is the #1-rated choice for lodging in Galena. Not only are you located close to the heart of the action, just steps off Main Street in downtown Galena, but we offer an unparalleled escape into luxury. Our galena Bed and Breakfast offers 6 luxurious and spacious suites, each of which comes complete with comfortable seating areas, stunning Kohler Bathrooms, a Bluetooth sound system, and other luxury amenities.
Apart from our luxury suites, we also offer a number of welcoming commons areas for you to enjoy, including our expansive deck at the back of our property and a beautiful, private patio on the side. These outdoor spaces are the perfect place to relax and unwind after enjoying all of the great things to do in Galena. They also make a great place to enjoy our afternoon wine and appetizer tray, too!
This summer, let us show you just how special Galena can be. Book a room at our Galena Bed and Breakfast today!