The quaint town of Galena is one of the top getaway destinations in the Midwest. It’s a short drive away from major cities like Chicago and Milwaukee, and it offers plenty to see and do for a variety of travelers. Galena’s charm, which brings back guests for repeated visits over the years, stems from it’s historic feel. It’s as if the town was frozen somewhere in the 1800’s. With that historically charming feel though, comes a town fit for modern travelers. Here, you’ll find fun tours, picturesque scenery, lots of outdoor recreation at places like Chestnut Mountain Resort, breweries, distilleries, and wineries, and incredible shopping along Downtown Galena’s Main Street. Step back in time with us and experience the magic of Galena this summer. Book your room at our recently renovated and luxurious Bed and Breakfast, currently rated as the best lodging property in all of Galena.
Chestnut Mountain Resort is a Four-Season Destination
Though most people think of Chestnut Mountain Resort as a winter destination, there’s plenty of fun to be had there year-round. True, it’s a spectacular ski resort when the winter snows hit. But, beyond that, Chestnut Mountain is an incredible four-season destination built for fun. Chestnut Mountain Resort sits high above the Mississippi River. During these beautiful summer months, the ski slopes are transformed into a thrilling adventure course. Here are a few of our favorite things to do at Chestnut Mountain Resort:
- Chestnut Mountain’s Alpine Slides are a thrill ride like no other in Galena. Strap yourself in, and race down the 2,050 foot course on nothing more than a sled. It really is an unbelievable journey, and also offers a panoramic view of the Mississippi River as you descend.
- The Soaring Eagle Zip line is an 800-foot, bucket seat zip line that flies 600 feet above the Mississippi River. The view from here is incredible. To begin the ride, you’ll actually travel backwards to the peak. Once you’re set free, you’ll reach thrilling speeds of up to 30 mph.
- Segway Tours have become a popular attraction in much of the United States, and it’s no different at Chestnut Mountain Resort. It’s a great way to take in the views and explore the entire 220-acre property.
- After you’ve finished the more extreme adventures, unwind and have some fun on Chestnut Mountain’s Mini and Disc Golf courses.
- If you’d rather spend a quiet afternoon here, you can rent a bike and go mountain biking, or just explore the trails on foot as well.
- There’s also a beautiful Mississippi River Cruise that leaves from Chestnut Mountain Resort. From there, you’ll enjoy a unique cruise along the Mississippi, gaining insight into the history of the area, and a chance to see this area’s beautiful wildlife. This includes eagles, blue heron, and much more.
At the end of the day, come back to Galena and unwind in our luxurious accommodations at the Jail Hill Inn. Our outdoor patio is an inviting oasis, perfect for a sunny summer afternoon. We also offer an afternoon wine & cheese reception, which features select bottles of wine and an assortment of cheeses, fruits and other delectable treats to enjoy. Summer will be over before we know it. Book your last minute getaway to the Jail Hill Inn in Galena today!