10 Delicious Tastings to Try in Downtown Galena
Downtown Galena, IL holds so many wonderful shops, businesses, and restaurants, and is certainly much more than meets the eye. At first glance, downtown Galena might appear to be a sleepy downtown cloaked in historic buildings. And, while that’s true, which quaint town is absolutely packed with character and ineffable charms sitting just behind the historic facades. We love walking up and down Main Street, exploring the many boutiques along the way. But what if we told you there was an even better way to enjoy downtown Galena?
Downtown Galena, IL is home to an incredible number of food purveyors, and is absolutely packed with flavor! Tasting your way down Main Street has become one of our favorite activities, and certainly one of our favorite things to recommend to guests who stay at our Galena Bed and Breakfast. This summer, Main Street has turned into a pedestrian-only zone to help allow for air circulation and social distancing, and to ensure the safety of all who visit us in Galena. Join us for some unique tastings along Main Street, and book your room at our #1 rated Galena Bed and Breakfast today!
Get a Taste of Downtown Galena, IL This Summer
Downtown Galena, IL is the perfect place to sample a variety of yummy treats and to discover the flavors unique to us. From delicious wine and cheese to fresh farm-grown produce and handmade candy, there really is a lot to choose from along the way. It’s not just the tastes that make the experience delightful, either. The Civil War-era buildings that line Main Street invite you in and help you feel right at home. And, as you travel from one tasting to the next, make sure to stop in at the other independently-owned businesses that call downtown Galena, IL home!
Your tasting journey in Galena, of course, begins with breakfast at our luxurious Galena Bed and Breakfast. We offer a sumptuous multi-course breakfast to get your day started. Take your time before heading down to Main Street, though. You’ll probably be full for a while! By mid-afternoon, you’ll be ready to get started. Here are 10 stops you won’t want to miss!
- You can’t miss a stop in at Galena River Wine & Cheese. They provide the delicious charcuterie plate that gets delivered to our guests each afternoon, and they have a delicious array of cheeses, meats, and wine in their shop to try. It’s a great place to pick up supplies for a picnic, too! Their gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches are also to-die-for, but for something truly unique try their Cheesy Waffle Stick. Who can argue with food on a stick?
- Pick up a bottle of delicious oils, dressings, jams, sauces, and more at Galena Canning Company. They have plenty of other gourmet goods to check out, too! If you want something to pair this olive oil with, pick up some delicious pasta to take home at Pasta Perfetta!
- We’ll miss the Galena Garlic Fest this summer, but you can still pick up all of your garlic-inspired goodies at the Galena Garlic Company.
- Take a deep breath as you walk in Spice & Tea Merchants, and enjoy the enchanting smells of spices and teas from around the world. The staff is incredibly knowledgable, and will offer advice on spice pairings, as well as recipes for you to try at home.
- If you’re a popcorn lover, stop in at the Great American Popcorn Co., and try one of their 60+ flavors. These make great gifts to take home, too!
- If you need something a little on the healthier side, head to Galena Juicery & Meal Prep.
- What would a town be without plenty of sweet treats, too? Make your own custom bag of handmade candies from Galena Kandy Kitchen. They have all the traditional candies you love, but their signature products are their chocolate-covered strawberries, and the “Georgie,” featuring various varieties of caramel, nuts, and chocolate.
- Enjoy a classic ice cream cone at American Old Fashioned Ice Cream Parlor. Sometimes there’s nothing better on a hot summer day!
- Head to Root Beer Revelry for a Root Beer flight, or for a trip back through time, have them craft you the perfect root beer float.
- No tastings in Galena are complete without a some samples of adult beverages! Try a wine flight at Galena Cellars, craft beer at the Galena Brewing Company, or some of the delicious spirits at Blaum Bros. Distilling.
Stay at the #1 BEST Galena Bed and Breakfast
While all of these tastings in downtown Galena, IL are certainly wonderful and part of a well-rounded adventure through Main Street, there’s nothing more delicious than the breakfast served at our Galena Bed and Breakfast. Breakfast here starts with a seasonal fruit dish and is followed by a selection of freshly baked goods and a hearty entreé. Our menu rotates frequently but always features fresh and local ingredients whenever possible, including vegetables grown in our very own country gardens. We also serve our delicious custom-blended coffee, roasted for us by Big Bill’s Sandwich Shop & Coffee Bar, along with freshly-squeezed orange juice and a wonderful selection of teas.
We all need something to look forward to these days, and we think a few days at our luxury Galena Bed and Breakfast is just the thing you need! Galena is the perfect place to set aside your worries for a few days, so you can focus on relaxing and enjoying a little bit of romantic R&R. We’re still the #1-rated Bed and Breakfast in Galena (and the #2-rated B&B in the world). Book your room at our Galena Bed and Breakfast today!