If you’ve yet to experience the incredible and unique beauty along the Great River Road, then now is the time to get here. Wanderlust Travel Magazine’s February issue has listed this spectacular destination, which passes near Galena, as one of the “Top 50 Trips” for 2017. Along the Great River Road, you can expect to see breathtaking views of the Mississippi River, majestic bluffs and landscapes, and an incredible array of birds and other inhabitants who make a living along nature’s most famous highway. Book your room at our luxurious Galena Bed and Breakfast today, so you can come explore one of the most beautiful sections of the Great River Road near Galena this spring.
Travel the Great River Road
The Great River Road, which travels for 550 miles along the western border of Illinois, represents four centuries of the region’s history and heritage. Along this scenic byway, visitors will find frontier history dating back to the days of Lewis & Clark, historic sites, charming towns to visit and explore, and plenty of opportunities outdoor recreation. It’s also one of the best places for bird watching in the country. According to the Audubon Society, half of North America’s bird species and about 40 percent of its waterfowl spend at least part of their lives along the Mississippi Flyway, which includes the Great River Road. Here are a few of our favorite nearby activities to do along the Great River Road:
- Visit Gramercy Park, overlooking the Mississippi River. Here, you’ll find 26 ceremonial and burial mounds from the Hopewell Native American Culture.
- Take in the views of the region’s famous rolling hills, and enjoy a picnic at Long Hollow Scenic Overlook.
- Visit a working windmill, de Immigrant Windmill, in nearby Fulton. This beautiful Dutch Windmill was manufactured and pre-assembled in the Netherlands.
- While in Fulton, stop in to Heritage Canyon, a 12-acre wooded structure nature walk dotted with buildings that take the visitor back to the 1800’s.
- Walk or bike along the Galena River Trail.
- Meander the trails and/or go bird watching at Galena’s most popular nature preserves. Favorites include the Casper Bluff Land and Water Preserve, Buehler Preserve, Winston Tunnel State Natural Area, Hanover Bluff Nature Preserve, and Iris and Jack Witkowsky State Wildlife Area.
- Watch Bald Eagles Soar and take in the incredible nature and scenery at the Mississippi Palisades State Park.
- Get a unique vantage point of this beautiful area aboard a cruise with the Mississippi Explorers Cruises leaving from Galena.
After an adventurous day along the Great River Road, come back to the luxurious accommodations at Galena’s #1 Bed and Breakfast, the Jail Hill Inn. Situated in downtown Galena, Jail Hill offers unparalleled service in an unbeatable location. Book your room with us this spring, and come see why Galena has been called “One of America’s Prettiest Towns.”