Winter Activities to Enjoy in Galena
Whether you’re looking for a little outdoor recreation, or the perfect excuse to curl up and get cozy with the one you love, there are plenty of reasons to visit Galena this winter. During the snowy winter months, Galena transforms into a picturesque wonderland, complete with snow-covered hills and valleys and charming old-world architecture. Winter activities are plentiful in Galena, ranging from skiing, snowboarding, and sleigh rides, to candlelit hikes and romantic dinners. With far less crowds than the rest of the year, winter is arguably one of the best times to plan a getaway to our luxurious Bed and Breakfast in downtown Galena. Book your stay with us today!
Galena’s Best Winter Activities
If you’re looking for a variety of winter activities to enjoy, whether indoors or outdoors, the charming town of Galena is perfect for you this winter. From woodsy trails and dramatic views of the Mississippi River, to the exhilaration of downhill skiing, Galena has it all. Here are some of our favorite winter activities:
- Skiing or snowboarding at Chestnut Mountain Resort, one of the bets ski destinations in the Midwest, is perfect for all experience levels. With 19 total ski runs and a 7-acre terrain park, there’s plenty here to keep everyone occupied and having fun.
- The Nordic Center at Eagle Ridge Resort offers visitors an authentic outdoor ice skating experience on their 1.5 mile long pond, 7 miles of groomed cross country and snowshoeing trails, and of course sledding. You can even try your hand at skijoring–a cross between cross-country skiing and dog-sledding!
- Take a candlelit luminary hike through Casper Bluff Preserve, or just enjoy the quiet serenity of nature at Galena’s many nature preserves. Favorites places for winter hiking include Buehler Preserve and the Galena River Trail.
- Watch eagles soar and dive for food during their annual migration along the Mississippi River. Casper Bluff Preserve and nearby Mississippi Palisades State Park are both excellent locations to spot these graceful birds, and peak times to see them are mid-January through February.
- Enjoy the scenic trails with one of the most classic winter activities of them all; a horse-drawn sleigh ride. The Shenandoah Riding Center offers hour long trips through the scenic winter wonderland of Galena.
- If you want a little respite from the cold outdoors, head to the local wineries, which are open for tastings year-round. You can’t go wrong with a visit to award-winning Galena Cellars or Massbach Ridge Winery, both with tasting rooms conveniently located in downtown Galena.
- Romantic dinners for two are the perfect way to end any day in Galena, regardless of the type of winter activities you chose to indulge in. Favorite restaurants are Fried Green Tomatoes, Fritz and Frites, and Log Cabin Steakhouse.
As you can see, Galena is an exciting place to be, even in the depths of a Midwest winter. You can’t go wrong with any of the winter activities we’ve listed here. Even if you just want a weekend away filled with nothing more than quiet relaxation, our luxurious Bed and Breakfast in downtown Galena is the place to be this winter. We’re wrapping up a great 2016 here at the Jail Hill Inn, and look forward to an even better 2017 with you. Book your winter getaway with us today!
If for some reason you can’t make it out to stay with us this winter, then now’s the time to take advantage of our holiday specials on gift certificates. From now through the end of the year, when you buy a gift certificate of at least $100 in value, you’ll receive a bonus gift certificate; an offer worth up to $100!