We’re coming up on the best time of year to book one of the fantastic Galena Wine Tours at our nearby wineries. Planning an afternoon of wine tasting and touring vineyards is such a memorable and magical way to enjoy Galena. You’ll find a couple of tasting rooms right in the heart of downtown with a handful of vineyards all under 30 minutes from the main street of Galena.
There are two American viticulture areas (AVAs) in Illinois: Shawnee Hills and the Upper Mississippi Valley. The latter is the region encompassing Galena and the northwestern part of Illinois. Interesting fact: our state is one of the largest growing wine producers in the country. The number of wineries has doubled over the last 30 years—we now have more than 100 wineries in the state, growing an array of French-American hybrid grapes.
As a guest at our Galena Bed and Breakfast, you’ll be within walking distance to the tasting room for Galena Cellars and Massbach Ridge Winery. We always suggest our guests check these out, but it’s even more special to head out to the vineyards on the Galena wine tours. Staying at our B&B is all about indulgence and relaxation, and sipping a lovely wine among the vines is the perfect addition to any getaway to our charming resort town.
Head over to the availability calendar at our Galena Bed and Breakfast and reserve your luxury suite today!
Taste the Wine of Illinois on these Galena Wine Tours
The two leading local companies for Galena wine tours are Countryside Tours and Galena Wine Tours Inc. These folks are the experts, and they’ll show you a fabulous time out in the Upper Mississippi Valley AVA. On average, tours last about four hours, and you’ll visit three wineries. Additionally, many guests choose to head out on a self-guided tour, and thankfully all of these wineries are no further than 30 minutes from our Galena Bed and Breakfast.
Here are five wineries and vineyards you may visit on one of these Galena wine tours:
- Galena Cellars Winery and Vineyards: While you’ll want to visit the downtown tasting room for wine flights and small plates, it’s just a lovely ten-minute drive to this countryside vineyard. The rustic red barn stands out from the rolling green lawns and rows of vines, where you’ll enjoy a flight of their award-winning Illinois-grown wines.
- Rocky Waters Vineyard and Winery: This boutique winery nestled in the countryside of Jo Daviess County has 25-acres dedicated to the cold-weather varietals that thrive in the Upper Mississippi Valley AVA. Take in spectacular views of the vines from the tasting room on the bluff.
- Fergedaboudit Vineyard and Winery: Bring your sense of humor and your appetite for wine tastings, antipasto plates, cheese boards, and chocolate truffles to this award-winning winery about 25 minutes outside of downtown Galena.
- Stone Cliff Winery: Located just north of Dubuque in the historic Star Brewery building, you’ll find indoor and outdoor seating, flights of their Illinois grown wine, and light lunch fare.
- Massbach Ridge Winery: While the vineyard for this local winery is about 35 minutes outside of Galena and open for tastings and tours, you’ll also find a downtown tasting room just minutes from our Bed and Breakfast. Head here for a flight of their cold-weather, hearty varietals.
- After you’ve checked out the local vineyards, stop by Galena River Wine and Cheese, a locally-owned shop supporting independent wine producers from all over the world. You’ll also find a lovely selection of cheeses, olive oils, and gifts for your favorite culinary hobbyists. This is a great stop after participating in one of the Galena wine tours around town. Afterward, take a stroll along the Galena River Trail before joining us back at our Bed and Breakfast to refresh for the evening.
Join us for our Daily Wine and Appetizer Reception
After a day exploring the vineyards on one of these Galena wine tours, head on back to Jail Hill Inn for our complimentary afternoon wine and cheese reception. While we’ve pivoted during the past couple of years to a tray-style service, this means this deliscous spread is delivered directly to your comfortable suite to enjoy at your leisure. Feel free to bring your afternoon appetizers and wine to one of our shared spaces or out on the patio.
You’ll notice right away that our strong suits are attention to detail, warm service, and a knack for making all of our guests as comfortable as possible. We can’t wait for you to join us in Galena this year; book your next getaway today!