Now that Labor Day Weekend has passed, we can officially, though reluctantly, say goodbye to summer, and welcome the fast-approaching fall season. The hillsides above Galena are already showing hints of their colorful autumnal hues, which means now is the perfect time to plan a getaway to Galena. As the air begins to cool, we’ll soon be surrounded by fall’s hallmark hues of crimson, orange, yellow, and green. You won’t have to go far to see the finest fall foliage the Midwest has to offer. We have a few great ideas to make this fall foliage season one you’ll never forget. But first, you need to book your room at our luxury Galena Bed and Breakfast. Rooms will fill up fast during peak fall foliage season, so don’t wait!
Viewing the Best Fall Foliage in Galena
The fall color show in Galena is nothing short of spectacular. The peak of fall foliage season typically stretches from mid-September through Late October, but can vary depending on the weather. The best way to get those panoramic fall views we’re all after is by taking a hike, but it’s certainly not your only option. There are a full range of fall-themed activities to enjoy in Galena, and we’ve highlighted a few of our favorites for you below.
- Enjoy a birds-eye view of Galena’s fall foliage with Long Hollow Canopy Tours. You’ll soar high above the tree line across 6 zip lines, and will enjoy the views from up to 75 feet in the air.
- Take a ride on the Tri-State Trolley, then sit back and enjoy the colorful views unfold as you learn about Galena’s history.
- Rent a bike from Fever River Outfitters, then head down the Galena River Trail for a scenic fall ride along the river. Keep going until you reach the beautiful Buehler Preserve.
- Rent a kayak or canoe, and float down the scenic Galena River, taking in the fall colors from an entirely vantage point.
- Take a ski lift ride to the top of Chestnut Mountain Resort, where you’ll enjoy stunning panoramic views of the Mississippi River below. This is also a great place to enjoy a fall hike and see Mother Nature up close and personal.
- Take a 90-minute Mississippi River Explorer Cruise, which is also run by Chestnut Mountain Resort. Views of the forested bluffs, on fire with fall color, are simply breathtaking.
- Take a scenic drive through the wooded hillsides and lush green valleys of Galena. The 40-mile Stagecoach Trail is beautiful in the fall. You can also follow State-84 to Mississippi Palisades State Park. Once there, head into the park for some truly stunning bluff-top lookout points.
- Partake in one of fall’s signature activities and visit a local orchard. There are plenty of pick-your-own apple orchards near Galena, including Woodstock’s All Seasons Orchard and Malta’s Jonamac Orchard, both of which feature more than 30 apple varietals and apple-picking by the bag.
The gorgeous colors aren’t the only reason to visit us this fall in Galena. There are plenty of great events coming up, too, including:
- 48th annual Pumpkin Festival in Warren
- 12th Annual Galena Oktoberfest
- 51st Annual Tour of Historic Homes
- Massbach Stomp
- Galena Cellars Fall Harvest & Art Festival
- Galena Country Fair
- The Twenty Dirty Hands Studio Tour
- Annual Nouveau Weekend
We’ve already begun decorating Jail Hill Inn for the season, and there are delicious fall treats coming out of our kitchen as well. Beyond relishing the gorgeous hues of fall, there’s plenty to do in the Galena area. Book your stay with us today, and start planning your fall getaway to Galena.