As spring draws closer, we’re excited about all of the opportunities that await us outside, including getting out to the parks and nature preserves for some of the best hiking in Galena IL! We love all things spring, from the colorful bursts of color peeking out from the ground and the buds on the trees to the general buzz around town as we gear up for another busy season in bustling Galena!
Moreover, while we’re still dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic, there’s nothing better than enjoying a spring getaway in a place where you can enjoy plenty of social distancing and recreation outdoors! If you’re still looking for someplace that will afford you this relaxing and safe chance of pace, look no further than our Galena Bed and Breakfast. Jail Hill Inn offers guests 6 luxurious guest suites in which to relax and enjoy the time away. We’ll spoil you with a delicious breakfast, plenty of treats throughout the day, and a wonderful array of amenities in the suites to use at your pleasure.
Just a few steps beyond our doors is downtown Galena, filled with a wonderful variety of restaurants, shops, and attractions to explore. You can also reach the Galena River Trail from here, which follows the Scenic Galena River and is an excellent place for biking and hiking in Galena IL. It’s not the only place for hiking in Galena IL, though. Book a room at our #1-rated Galena Bed and Breakfast this spring, and come hit the trails and enjoy a relaxing spring getaway with us!
5 of the Best Hiking Trails in Galena IL This Spring
We’re so excited to get back outside for some fun and adventure this spring – and that includes getting outside and enjoying some of the best hiking in Galena IL! From the beautiful Galena River Trail right here in town to a variety of nature preserves in the nearby area and even larger state parks and natural areas just a short drive away, there’s really no shortage of ways to get outside and enjoy the scenic beauty of this incredible area.
These Galena hiking trails offer an excellent opportunity to get outside and explore this scenic part of the state in more depth. The more trails you explore, the more you’ll appreciate the towering bluffs and rolling hills that are characteristic of this area – a nice contrast from much of the midwest, which was flattened during the last ice age. Are you ready to hit the trails with us? Here are just a few of our favorite places to enjoy hiking in Galena IL.
- We’ve mentioned it a couple of times, but one of our favorite places for both biking and hiking in Galena IL – and probably the easiest place to start – is the Galena River Trail. This 8.8-mile long multi-use trail is loved by locals and visitors alike and offers scenic views of the Galena River and towering bluffs. The trail is built in the footprint of the Burlington Railroad mainline and links Galena to Chestnut Mountain Resort on the Mississippi River.
- The Jo Daviess Conservation Foundation owns a variety of nature preserves around Galena, all of which are exceptional places to enjoy a bit of hiking in Galena IL. Some of these properties include Horseshoe Mound Preserve, Casper Bluff Land and Water Reserve, Buehler Preserve, and the Valley of Eden Bird Sanctuary.
- Apple River Canyon State Park is another great place to enjoy some of the best hiking in Galena IL. This park is characterized by its dramatic Limestone bluffs, deep ravines, springs, streams, and the resultant wildlife that call this area home. In total, there are 5 miles of trails that wind their way through this scenic park.
- For dramatic views of the Mississippi River, head to Mississippi Palisades State Park. There’s a 15-mile trail network that winds through the park, and it is via these trails that you’ll gain a true appreciation for the park’s rugged terrain and plant and animal life.
- Hanover Bluff Nature Preserve is a wonderful place to enjoy some hiking near our Galena Bed and Breakfast. There are a number of unmarked trails through the park, which will lead you through the high dolomite ridges that form the valley wall of the Mississippi River. You’ll also enjoy a variety of native plant species and rare wildflowers throughout the trails. Accordingly, there is a variety of wildlife to be enjoyed here.
There’s a 6th bonus activity that fits in with the hiking in Galena IL theme, and it’s surely something unique! Make some time to join the owners of Hoof It Galena, and take a trek with some of the most adorable (and friendly) goats you’ll ever meet. You’ll accompany these goats on walks through prairies and forests, and will have a spectacularly good time as you go.
Put Your Feet Up at our Galena Bed and Breakfast
Wherever you end up going hiking in Galena IL this spring, we have no doubt you’ll have a great time. We’ll give you a great start to your day with a delicious multi-course breakfast, which is made fresh for you daily in our kitchen with a menu that changes by the day. You can either enjoy breakfast in the privacy of your guest room or in our socially-distanced dining room.
When you’re done adventuring for the day and ready to put your feet up and relax, and luxurious accommodations at our Galena Bed and Breakfast will be waiting! Enjoy a soak in one of our Kohler Bubble Massage Tubs, crank up your favorite music on our customizable Bluetooth sound system (individualized to each room), unwind with our afternoon wine and appetizer tray in front of the fire, relax on one of our beautiful outdoor spaces (pending some warmer weather of course), and otherwise let us take care of you the way you deserve.
When it comes time to dinner, there are a number of wonderful establishments in downtown Galena offering limited indoor dining. Most are also offering takeout, which you can bring back to the Inn to enjoy either ensuite or in one of our common areas. On Friday nights, you can even enjoy a special dinner delivery opportunity with our friends at Brazen Open Kitchen in Dubuque.
We’ve thought of everything, so you don’t have to! Join us for some of the best hiking in Galena IL this spring, and book your room at our sensational Bed and Breakfast.