Just on the outside edge of downtown Galena, you’ll find the privately owned Linmar Gardens, a hidden gem for a lovely stroll with a beautiful backdrop. This three-and-a-half-acre green space is nestled on the hillside overlooking Galena. It is home to quiet paths weaving through curated gardens with annual and perennial blooms, multiple water features, and two gazebos for peaceful places to take a break.
Daily guided tours occur at 11 am Tuesday through Saturday and last approximately 45 minutes or so. The terrain is a bit uneven and can be a challenge for some, so sturdy walking shoes are encouraged. Along the guided tour, you’ll hear the history of Linmar Gardens and the people who worked hard to create and maintain this natural space. Keep your eyes open for hidden treasures behind each turn, stone statues, and garden artwork.
As a guest at Jail Hill Inn, the premier Bed and Breakfast in Galena, a visit to Linmar Gardens would be a welcome addition to any getaway. For those looking to get their steps in, you could arrive at Linmar Gardens within 15 minutes on foot, or just a quick five-minute car ride will do the trick. Either way, our luxurious guest suites will be awaiting your return for a peaceful space to unwind and relax. Join us at our Galena Bed and Breakfast and book today!
The Stunning Linmar Gardens & More Things to do in Galena
There is so much to explore in our charming small town of Galena, Illinois. Thankfully, this area is very walkable, so as a guest of Jail Hill Inn, you can park your car and set off on foot. The downtown area is packed with lovely shops, restaurants, bakeries, and cafes. If you head out to tour Linmar Gardens first, you can swing back through downtown for lunch, wine tasting, and shopping and be back in time for our afternoon wine and appetizer spread.
Here are the top six places to see in Downtown Galena:
- Tour the Linmar Gardens: If you decide to add the garden tour to your itinerary, it’s a great way to start your day exploring what downtown Galena has to offer. Enjoy the guided tour through the pristine gardens and then head off for wine tasting and lunch.
- Wine Tasting at Galena Cellars: The beautiful, three-floor historic brick building is the perfect setting for a wine tasting. You’ll get to taste through some of these fantastic cold-weather varietals that thrive here in the Illinois countryside.
- Grab a Pint at Galena Brewing Company: On the northern end of Main Street, you’ll find this local brewpub with 13 ales on draft, brewery tours, and playful pub grub in the form of a one-pound pretzel served with beer cheese sauce.
- Take the Galena River Trail: This easily walkable trail is one of the best ways to check out this beautiful small town. After a stroll at Linmar Gardens, take this route back into the downtown area.
- Main Street Shopping: There are more than 100 independent, locally-owned boutiques on Main Street in downtown Galena. Thankfully, it’s all within easy walking distance from Jail Hill Inn. We’re close enough to be your home base, so you can pop back up to drop off your goods as you buy!
- Dinner at Fried Green Tomatoes: You’ll find seasonal Italian-American fare at this downtown culinary gem. Small plates and hearty mains round out the menu for a flavorful dinner with thoughtful service. Don’t miss their signature fried green tomatoes—the best in town!
Sweet and Savory Treats at our Galena Bed and Breakfast
Arriving at Jail Hill Inn is welcoming and warm. With nearly 600 five-star reviews on TripAdvisor, sometimes the best way to know what to expect is to hear it from a recent, previous guest:
- “Relaxing, fun, and filled with lots of fun and food. Best B&B!!! So nicely put together. So relaxing!!! Three-course breakfast was so delicious and had so much variety. The afternoon appetizer tray with wine was so nicely pieced together. We will be returning!!!!” –March 2022
- “A 5 rating is not high enough for the Jail Hill Inn. Our experience at the Inn was truly amazing, the rooms, the decor, the food, and Matthew’s extraordinary hospitality made our 40th anniversary spectacular. Your experience starts the moment you arrive and have a personalized check-in, a tour of your room, and a bottle of Champagne and chocolates. The Kohler steam shower is amazing! Every evening Matthew brings an appetizer tray and a bottle of wine, and every morning you are treated to a three-course gourmet breakfast. We plan to make our stay here an annual event! Thank you, Matthew, for a remarkable stay.” –March 2022