Try These Things to do in Galena IL This Summer
Are you feeling the itch to travel, and to get out and explore? Your dreams of a European vacation may be delayed again this summer, but there are plenty of things to do in Galena to make up for it! All you have to do is get here and enjoy a stay at Jail Hill Inn, and all of the area’s top attractions and activities will be at your fingertips! From relaxing at our stunning Galena Bed and Breakfast to getting outside and exploring the many trails and attractions in the area, you won’t run out of things to do in Galena IL this summer!
We love sharing our little piece of the world with our guests from around the world and pride ourselves on curating a memorable experience for all who visit us. Our hospitality starts the moment you step through our doors, with chilled champagne and custom chocolates waiting for you in your suite. From there, we encourage you to explore downtown Galena, visit the charming shops and local businesses that call this area home, and experience all of the small-town charms this area is known for.
Ready to travel? Book your room at our Galena Bed and Breakfast today!
The Most Exciting Things to do in Galena IL This Summer
The list of things to do in Galena IL seems to grow each and every year, even if you’ve been here many times before. Whether this is your first or tenth time visiting us in Galena, we hope to inspire you to try something new while you’re in town.
Explore Downtown Galena
Of all the things to do in Galena IL this summer, getting downtown and exploring the unique offering at local shops and businesses is at the top of our list. Downtown Galena is filled with more than 100 independently owned businesses, including wineries, a brewery, a distillery, a variety of restaurants, and so much more.
There have even been some new shops, as well as relocations and expansions happening throughout the pandemic – meaning shopping in downtown Galena is bound to be a new and exciting experience for you this summer! Local shop and restaurant owners have been working hard over the last year, too, to make the experience a safe and enjoyable one in the face of the COVID-19 pandemic. We’ve listed some of our favorite things to do in downtown Galena in a recent blog here.
Exploring downtown Galena is great, but getting out and experiencing nature in this beautiful area is even better. There are so many outdoor things to do in Galena IL, and this summer is the perfect time to do them! From mountain biking to kayaking down the Galena River itself, there are plenty of ways to have an adventure in Galena this summer. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Spend a day at one of the area’s beautiful state parks, including Apple River Canyon State Park and Mississippi River Palisades State Park. Both offer opportunities for hiking, boating, wildlife viewing, and generally just enjoying the beautiful surroundings.
- Take a walk or bike ride on the popular Galena River Trail, one of our favorite trails in the area. It’s easily accessed from Jail Hill Inn, and takes you all the way out to Chestnut Mountain Resort if you’d like.
- You can also spend your tie on the Galena River itself! It’s a great place to enjoy a bit of kayaking or canoeing. Local outfitter Fever River Outfitters would be happy to outfit you with everything you need for your adventure, too. They even offer guided tours if that’s something you’re interested in.
- Take a visit to one of the Jo Daviess Conservation Foundation properties including Horseshoe Mound Preserve and the Valley of Eden Bird Sanctuary. They are wonderful places to hiking, bird watching, wildlife viewing, and enjoying restorative time in nature.
- Head to Chestnut Mountain Resort and enjoy some time on their alpine slide, the Soaring Eagle Zipline, and even Mississippi River Cruises.
- Are you in the mood for a little bit of animal therapy? Head to Hoof It Galena to take a memorable hike with goats, or to Shenandoah Riding Center for a guided horseback ride through the area!
- Pump up your adrenaline with a zipline adventure with Lone Hollow Canopy Tours.
Food & Drink
Even though there are plenty of things to do in Galena, there are also plenty of ways to relax and enjoy your vacation! That includes having plenty of great places to kick back with a drink or a great meal when you’re ready. Galena is home to several great wineries, including Galena Cellars and Massbach Ridge Winery, in addition to The Galena Brewing Company, Blaum Bros Distilling, Champagne on Main, and so much more.
This summer, Galena’s restaurants will once again be offering outdoor dining on Main Street, which has partially been closed down to traffic to accommodate for this expanded dining space. There’s also plenty of fun nightlife to enjoying Galena, including ghost tours with The Haunted Galena Tour Company, a night of magic and illusions at PT Murphy’s Magic Show, and live music and other entertainment at local venues like The Grape Escape and Frank O’Dowd’s Irish Pub.
Galena is best known for its historic character, which also makes visiting the area’s historic attractions on of the top things to do in Galena IL this summer. There are a number of ways to experience Galena’s history, depending on your level of enthusiasm.
You can either take a self-guided walking tour through downtown Galena, or take a hop-on/hop-off tour navigates its way around Galena’s most popular historic attractions. If you’re looking for a more immersive experience, check out our blog about the area’s top historic attractions. And, of course, don’t forget to learn all about our own history right here at the stunning Galena Bed and Breakfast!
Stay at our Top-Rated Galena Bed and Breakfast
The best part about most of these wonderful things to do in Galena IL this summer is that they’re within easy walking distance from Jail Hill Inn. Our Galena Bed and Breakfast is located just a couple blocks off Main Street, on a hill overlooking the charming architecture of this historic town. The range of things to do in Galena IL is, at least in part, what makes it such a great getaway destination.
It’s easy to get here from many of the Midwest’s largest cities, including Chicago, Milwaukee, Madison, Minneapolis, and more. Any great getaway deserves top-notch accommodations, too, which is what you’ll find at our Galena Bed and Breakfast. Jail Hill Inn is the #1-rated choice for lodging in Galena. We’re conveniently located near all of the top attractions, yet far enough away for you to feel like you’re getting plenty of rest and relaxation.
Our galena Bed and Breakfast offers 6 luxurious and spacious suites, each of which comes complete with comfortable seating areas, stunning Kohler Bathrooms, a Bluetooth sound system, and other luxury amenities. We also offer a number of welcoming commons areas for you to enjoy, including our expansive deck at the back of our property and a beautiful, private patio on the side.
These outdoor spaces are the perfect place to relax and unwind after enjoying all of the great things to do in Galena IL this summer! Are you ready to experience this amazing place for yourself? It’s time to book a room at our Galena Bed and Breakfast!